We like to share audio practice skills and knowledge with other creators, and we are writing free audio learning resources which you can find on our blog.
For something more personalized, we also offer audio learning sessions for individuals, and workshops for teams or groups. We can cover a wide range of topics. All skill levels and creation styles are welcome.
Individual learning sessions
Individual learning sessions are personalized 1-on-1 classes with Fili 周 Gibbons, where we offer coaching, advising, or accompaniment as you as you develop your own audio practice. This can take place either in-person or over video-conference. Sessions can be oriented towards whatever audio topic or skillset feels interesting to you and important to your creation work.
- Learning how to record - recording technique, equipment and microphones, workflow
- Learning how to use an audio software / DAW - e.g. Ableton, Logic, Protools...
- Developing skills for a specific kind of audio project: music production, sound art, podcasts, sound design, field recordings, archiving / restoration.
- Post production skills - audio editing, audio repair, mixing, basic mastering and other post-production skills.
- Setting up a personal studio - how to set up a home or personal space for different kinds of audio creation, with guidance around room acoustics, treatment, devices and interconnection.
- Creative devices and tech - how to work with devices and media technologies in music creation, composition, performance and other creative work.
- Live sound for performers - how to work with live sound engineers and get a better sound in live sound venues.
- Going deeper with audio concepts and processes - physics of sound, room acoustics, digital audio, audio measurements, sampling, FX.
Types of session
We can plan sessions according your specific needs and learning style. Usually, this might flow between three different kinds of process:
- Talk session
- Hands-on coaching
Maybe you already have an idea of some audio work you want to do (like ‘making a podcast’, ‘learning how to record’), but you are not sure where to start?
In a talk session, we’ll sit down to think though some production ideas and offer technical advising. We can answer questions, or offer recommendations on specific tools and software you might want to use. This can also be a good choice for going into theoretical concepts like acoustics, physics of sound, digital audio, electronics.
If you are already working on something, or trying out a new audio technique, you can bring this to a session. We’ll accompany you as you try new things, trouble shoot technical issues, all while offering guidance and answering questions. This is probably one of the most fun and immersive ways to improve your audio skills in a short time. Our objective is to get past the technicalities so you can flow more in the creative process.
The session can be focused around any sound or audio task or practice that you want to do, as well as whatever tools or devices you are using.
You may find yourself in a situation where you want to hire someone to realize a challenging production task, but you also want to learn more about the audio skills involved, or even how to do this work yourselves in the future.
In ‘production-learning’ sessions, we/Fili can do the main part of the work, but you can sit in with us to learn about the workflow. As we go through the process, we’ll explain our process and share relevant skills and knowledge that relates to the project.
How it works
Both in-person and remote sessions are possible:
- In-person: We are currently based in: Montreal, Quebec
If we are in the same area, you can get in touch with us saying you would like to have an in-person session, and we’ll be happy to coordinate this.
- Remote: We can also set up remote sessions over video call (Zoom). For collaborative audio activities (’Hands-on coaching’, or ‘Production-learning’). It’s possible to use screen and audio sharing to work on projects that are using computer software. We can also observe and give feedback on equipment and recording techniques using the webcam.
Our first session can start with a brief hello, and we’ll ask you about what audio topics you are interested in learning. You can bring a topic or project you want to work on to our first session and we’ll dive right in.
If we want to have more learning sessions later, we can then decide a regular time, or just have a session here or there, as needed.
Booking a session
Single sessions for individuals — $42 USD / $50 CAD per hour (payment after each session)
Session package — If you are interested in booking a several sessions in advance, we can usually offer a discount (often between 10% - 20%) as it will save us some coordination efforts.
- For a quote on several sessions, please contact us with the desired number of sessions, hours per session, and the general timeframe of when you want to have the sessions.
10 hours, prepaid — $345 USD / $400 CAD
- 10 hours worth of sessions, divided as needed ie. 10 sessions of 1 hour, or 5 sessions of 2hrs
- sessions are booked in advance within a 3-month period.
- payment made in advance.
- We cannot refund prepaid sessions that have been booked in advance (Option 2 & 3), but if a session time no longer works for you, we can reschedule this to a different time.
- We need at least 24 hours advance-notice to reschedule a session.
- If you are not able to attend a pre-booked session we cannot offer a refund.
We also offer workshops for a group on request — i.e. for an organization, a collective, or a school. These workshops can be structured according to the interests and learning objectives of the group.
The workshops can be held in person, or over video conferencing software. For more information or to request a workshop, you can reach us at: